Last Update: February 17, 2017
Aggregate Estimates and Revisions
- Fourth quarter earnings are expected to increase 7.5% from Q4 2015. Excluding the Energy sector, the earnings growth estimate increases to 7.7%
- Of the 409 companies in the S&P 500 that have reported earnings to date for Q4 2016, 68.7% have reported earnings above analyst expectations. This is above the long-term average of 64% and below the average over the past four quarters of 71%.
- 49.8% of companies have reported Q4 2016 revenue above analyst expectations. This is below the long-term average of 59% and below the average over the past four quarters of 51%.
- For Q1 2017, there have been 60 negative EPS preannouncements issued by S&P 500 corporations compared to 25 positive EPS preannouncements. By dividing 60 by 25, one arrives at an N/P ratio of 2.4 for the S&P 500 Index.
- The forward four-quarter (1Q17 – 4Q17) P/E ratio for the S&P 500 is 17.9.
- During the week of February 20, 52 S&P 500 companies are expected to report Q4 2016 earnings.
Please note: if you use our earnings data, please source Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S
Download the full report click here.
Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters logo are registered trademarks, and trademarks of the Thomson Reuters group of companies. For additional information on Reuters photographic services, please visit the web site at http://pictures.reuters.com
Sign up for weekly updates on fund markets and investment opportunities here.